Sunday, April 10, 2016

Mashed potato brain, blog block, and all the many readings

     I think maybe the rumors are true, and I do have blog block. The diagnosis can be confirmed, seeing as how I'm supposed (says I) to be writing a post 2 or 3 times a week and I'm only hitting once a week. Why I am supposed to be posting 2 or 3 times a week: well, it just seems like a good number. It keeps the blog fresh and it ensures that my handful of faithful readers don't forget about me. That would be devastating.

      It's not as though I'm not writing. I'm working on my novel most weekdays and some weekends, which is the most important things, but I really want to stick with my blog, I'm just having a hard time doing that right now. For some reason, every time I think of blogging my brain gets mushy. It feels mushy right now in fact, even as I'm writing this. I don't actually like what I'm writing and there's a good chance I'll delete it, thought I'm really going to try not to. I'm hoping to get back into the swing of blogging and get all that mush out of my brain.

     Aside from the writing, I've been doing lots of writing related activities, like reading. My reading list is huge and a lot of it is research for the books I'm writing. I'm currently reading two grammar books and a book on trauma and PTSD for my mystery novel. I recently read two war memoirs, one by a reporter, and one by a Navy Seal. Those are also for my mystery novel. I recently realized that I'm not done prepping for my vampire novel (which is ridiculous considering how long I've been working on it) so the other war books are on hold while I read more apocalypse novels. I'm currently reading The Passage, which is awesome (I'm not sure how I haven't read this sooner). It's nearly 1000 pages long, which is also awesome, except I'm worried that I won't finish it before my library checkout period runs out, and that would suck. Although, other than that fact, I'm very excited that it's so long, it gives me hope for my books, and also for the world. I'm sad that people don't read long books the way they used to. So, to summarize: I'm reading grammar books, psychology books, war memoirs, and post-apocalyptic fiction. Let's hope I don't get that stuff mixed up because that would be bad. I suppose the war books could have some relevance with the apocalypse stuff, but still, one of my stories is fantasy and the other isn't, so I need to keep things separate. And you know, I'd hate to have a vampiric semi-colon attack a soldier who's supposed to be getting treated for his PTSD and is instead finding himself dealing with the end of the world. That just won't do.

     So, those are the things I'm doing while not blogging. Actually, those are just some of the things I'm doing while not blogging, but I'm going to try to squeeze some more blogging in there. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment