Sunday, October 11, 2015

I'm on a speeding train...

…And it's wonderful!
   Weeeee!
     Or maybe it's a helicopter, a rocket ship, or a roller coaster. Roller coasters are fun. I like roller coasters, so we'll go with that.
     I'm on a roller coaster, and it's wonderful. Weeee!
     I'm talking about my current drive for writing. I might've gotten hit in the head with a writing stick, or gotten possessed by a creativity demon. Whatever happened, I'm on a roll and it's wonderful.
     I didn't start writing regularly until I was 30, because I was sure there was no way I would have the motivation to finish a novel. Now that I've started, I can't stop. I think I'm making up for lost time. I have one "completed" novel, New Year's Revolution, with a beginning, a middle, and an end, and I'm almost finished with my first draft of my second novel, Caribou Canyon (totally a working title. I hate thinking of titles). I'm also ready to start writing my third novel, which will most likely happen in November. When I finish the first draft of that I will either start the second draft of Caribou Canyon or edit/rewrite New Year's Revolution. See what I mean? The ideas are happening faster than I can write them. It's overwhelming and wonderful. And then there's all the blog post ideas and the short stories which I have to squish in between all that other stuff.
    I probably ought to take some sort of a mental break between my current novel and my next novel, but I don't really want to. If I do, it will only be a couple of days because taking a break from writing is like taking a break from chocolate or coffee. It's possible that I'm a little crazy, but I swear it's the good kind of crazy.
     The story I want to start in November has been floating around my head for two years now. I was putting it on hold so I could finish other things, but now it's demanding to be written, so I'm going to write it. The only problem is the main character still hasn't told me his name. It might be Evan, but I'm still not entirely sure it isn't Dylan or Conner, or something else entirely. If he doesn't tell me soon, I'm just going to name him Rumple purely out of spite.
     All right, I'm off to finish Caribou Canyon. I'll do my best to spread the creativity cooties.
     Happy reading and writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment