Thursday, November 5, 2015

My NaNo Novel

     Okay, so I've talked about how I'm participating in NaNo, but I haven't actually talked about what my project is. 
     This is an idea that I've had kicking around in my head since Spring of 2013. That's a long time, right? It's been a very patient little story idea. I told myself I wasn't going to start this project until Caribou Canyon was completely finished, but it just can't wait any longer. 
     Writing this novel is going to give me a few firsts. First, it's my first Nano. 
     Second, it's an adult mystery. That's right, a mystery. The word "fantasy" is nowhere in the genre of my new novel. 
     What?
     Weird, right?
     There are no vampires, no magic, no people with powers, no apocalypses, and no ghosts. Oh, wait…Okay, so there is a small paranormal element in it (because I can't not), but it's not enough to call it a fantasy. It's a mystery. So that's the second first.
     The third first is that the main character is male. I have done very little writing in the POV of male characters, so this will be a fun and interesting challenge. To make it even harder, it will be first person, which means I will be even more embedded in this man's head. I'm not entirely sure if I can write believably through the POV of a man. I guess I'll find out. 
     So, what's the title, you ask?
     Confession time: I'm really bad at novel titles. I can come up with poem titles pretty easily, but it's hard for me to think of novel titles. The original title of my vampire novel (which I'm now going to use as the series title) was Vampiric Vanguard. That's a great title, right? 
     Yep, it is. It's got a nice ring to it. 
     I didn't come up with it. My boyfriend at the time did. My replacement title, New Year's Revolution, is pretty good if I say so myself, but it took me about five years to come up with it. That's right. Five years. 
     The working title of my second novel is Caribou Canyon, which is just the name of the town the story takes place in. The setting is very important to the story, but I'm not sure it's catchy enough for a title. But I don't have any other ideas of what to call it. 
     I don't have the slightest idea what to call my mystery novel, but I need something to call it instead of my new-third novel-NaNo-work in progress-mystery novel. So I decided to write down all the words that I could think of to use in the title and see what I can get. I've come up with Demons in the Daylight, which I actually think is pretty awesome, it just may not be a good fit for this particular story. We're talking metaphorical demons, not the cool literal kind. But I have something to call the story for now, so that's good at least. If I don't wind up using that title, I'm totally going to write a novel tailored to that title, because it's cool. 
     All right, so here's a bare bones synopsis: Caleb is a 27 year old guy with PTSD. His wife tells him she's cheating on him and he gets put in a psychiatric hospital all in the same day. He gets out of the hospital and learns his friend was murdered. He begins to investigate her murder, because he's almost positive that an innocent man is sitting in jail. He has only the help of the victim's sister, who thinks he's insane and is only helping him to get rid of him and to prove him wrong. 
     There's a lot more to it than that (I even know who the killer is!), but I'm going to leave it at that for now. 
     Here's hoping that it goes well. Happy writing, everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment