Saturday, November 14, 2015

My thoughts after week 2 of NaNoWriMo

     Well, two weeks of National Novel Writing Month have gone by. It's now half over. I'm really excited and somewhat surprised to announce that I am right on track.
     Woohoo!
     I am currently at 49,583 words. The official goal of NaNo is to write a 50k word novel, so I'm almost done with that goal. That's really exciting. However, my draft will not be finished at 50k. I estimated it to be finished at roughly 90k, and so far that still seems to be the case. At 45k, I'm right on track, which is really awesome.
     I have definitely noticed some differences during the second week of nonstop writing that I didn't experience during week one. First, I'm getting a little tired, which is to be expected. During week one, the newness and excitement of the challenge fueled me. Now that some of the novelty has worn off, it's getting a little more exhausting, but I'm still sticking with it.
     I'm also feeling a lot more self-conscious about the writing and where the story is going this week than last week. I've had a lot more "Oh my God this is awful" and "I don't have any idea where this is going" moments than I did during week one. That's absolutely normal, but is making it harder to keep going. I think part of the reason for that is that I had a clear picture of the beginning of the story, and I also have a fairly clear picture of the end. The middle? Not so much. I've had to wing it a little more, and that might be where some of the self-doubt is coming from.
     I've gotten lots of support on Twitter from other writers, which I'm really grateful for. I don't think this is something I could get through if I didn't have so many other fellow writers cheering me on who know exactly how I feel. So, thanks everyone!
     All right! I'm off to do more writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment